Welcome to the information page of the Campbelltown Rheumatology Unit.
A Rheumatologist is a specialist physician who has expertise in diagnosing and treating diseases of joints, muscles and bones. The more common rheumatic diseases include:
- Joint disease – arthritis, gout, spinal problems, and osteoarthritis
- Muscles and tendons – fibromyalgia, polymyalgia rheumatica, tendonitis
- Bone disease – osteoporosis, Paget’s disease
- Rarer conditions include lupus or SLE, vasculitis and scleroderma.
We provide a comprehensive inpatient and outpatient diagnostic and management service resulting in an effective management plan to be undertaken by the referring General Practitioner or in collaboration with our Unit.
Professor Kevin Pile is our Rheumatologist, providing clinical services at both Camden and Campbelltown Hospitals. He is a graduate of the University of Otago, who undertook postgraduate research at the University of Oxford which resulted in his being awarded his Doctorate of Medicine with Distinction.
Prior to joining Campbelltown Hospital and the University of Western Sydney, he was Associate Professor at James Cook University in Townsville. His recent research interests relate to quality of life with rheumatic diseases, and he has just published a text on “Problem solving in Rheumatology”.
||Dr Carlos El-Haddad, Staff Specialist Rheumatology
|Camden Outpatient Clinics
Tuesday- Early Arthritis & Connective Tissue Disease
Thursday - Chronic Synovitis Clinic
||Campbelltown Outpatient Clinic
Wednesday: Connective Tissue & Immunology
Early intervention in inflammatory arthritis improves the short and long term outcome, and we are pleased to offer an Early Arthritis Clinic for patients who have the following:
- Inflammatory polyarthritis – symmetrical
- Of at least 6 weeks and less than 12 months duration
- Elevated CRP or ESR
Please use the attached referral form (web link to pdf version) in conjunction with your usual referral letter.
Bookings are accepted from all sources (i.e. General Practitioner, internal, and external specialist). Appointments are only made after receipt by fax or post of a standard referral letter fulfilling Medicare requirements for a privatised clinic, and inclusive of full contact details of patient and referring doctor. All referrals to be marked “Attention Professor K Pile” and these will be prioritised and sorted by Prof Pile.
Fax to (02) 4634 3300
Post to Department of Medicine, Campbelltown Hospital, PO Box 149, Campbelltown 2560
As a Teaching Hospital of the University of Western Sydney, the Campbelltown Rheumatology Unit is dedicated to undertaking quality research to improve our knowledge and care of patients with rheumatic diseases. Tax deductible donations assist us in initiating this research. For further information and discussion on how you can help, please contact Professor Kevin Pile on 4634 3000 or email to email@example.com
- The Campbelltown Rheumatology Unit supports the ARAD national registry whose main purpose is to collect long term information about the safety and effectiveness of new biological therapies for the treatment of inflammatory arthritis including rheumatoid arthritis, juvenile arthritis, ankylosing spondylitis and psoriatic arthritis. It is currently jointly funded by an NHMRC Enabling Grant and industry through donations to the Australian Rheumatology Association.
- Validation of quality of life instruments for Australian patients with psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis.
- Development of a new quality of life instrument for patients with gout.
Further information on Arthritis