Special Care Nursery (SCN)
The Special Care Nursery (SCN) is a Level 4 Neonatal Unit providing specialist care to sick term and preterm neonates. The nursery is supported by staff specialists, paediatricians and nursing staff. Allied health provides social workers, speech therapy, physiotherapy and occupational therapy support to families and babies in the SCN.
- Parents may visit their baby at any time day and night.
- Other visitors are strictly limited to the following times:
- 10am – 12noon
- 4pm – 6:30pm
- Rest period is 12pm – 4pm. No visitors are allowed during rest period, with exception of parents.
- Visitors to the SCN are strictly limited to two persons at any given time.
- There are strict infection control guidelines that must be adhered to; this involves washing hands with soap and water on entry to the SCN.
- No hot food or drinks are permitted in the SCN.
- Mobile phones are to be turned off in the patient area.
- Parents and visitors are asked to not visit the SCN if they are experiencing and signs and / or symptoms of flu, including a cough, runny nose or fever.
- Anyone entering the SCN must wash their hands with soap and water.
- Alcohol rub is available throughout the nursery.
- No children under the age of 12 (other than siblings) are permitted in the SCN.
- When visiting your baby please remain with your baby only.
- To show respect for other families in the SCN, we ask that you do not walk around the nursery looking at the other babies.
- Social work services are available to support families of babies in the SCN.
- Physiotherapy, occupational therapy and speech pathology all provide services to the SCN.
Nurse Unit Manager – Fiona Kite 02 4634 4113 or 0418 629 761
Staff Specialist – Dr Catherine Allgood 02 4634 4113
Clinical Nurse Educator – Gillian Podsiadly 02 4634 4111
Admin Officer/Ward Clerk– Judith Glover 02 4634 4113
Clinical Support Officer – Lauren Quinton 02 4634 4120